Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Days of Silence

Good morning!  Well it is the second day of silence.  I think they go to Friday, but I am not sure.  The times in the church have been reduced to 3 instead of 5.  I have a stack of books:

Prayer by Abhishiktananda (very interesting swami with a history like mine)

The Apostolic Fathers - specifically an interesting text called the Didache which has been dated to the first century AD, making it the earliest Christian manuscript.

The Little World of Don Camillo - a fun fiction about an Italian priest and his relationship with his town and parish and his on-going conversation with Christ about the events.  It is very funny and depicts a refreshingly real relationship with the divine.  I highly recommend it for fun reading.

The New Testament - a translation by Richmond Lattimore.  He has a more secular training and I am hoping a very pure translation without bias.  It reads very nicely and is not broken into traditional chapters/verses.  That alone makes it read more smoothly.

Aside from that I have filled my days with meditation, a wonderful walk in the woods, a lot of thinking and working on being present without anything to occupy myself.  That last one in particular is turning into an interesting and rewarding experiment.  I'll write more about it most likely.

Here is a photo or two from my walk...




2 comments:

  1. Pronam Maharaj: Yes! Thanks once again. This blog will be the closest to our Thursday Class. Looking forward to learning about “Being Present”.
    Is this the Hudson River? Ages ago when I was a lost soul 3 of us Rina B C and myself drove up to Poughkeepsie. Our music teacher lived there.
    Take care - waiting for the next post. Miss u
    Forever Grateful - Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read The Little World of Don Camillo and glad to be reading your blog . I always enjoy your adventures -- and even learn something from them. Presence is key. Suffering seems to lie most in regret and worry-- not just being.

    ReplyDelete